I'm 30.
Married.
Mama to a two-year-old.
8 months pregnant.
High school teacher.
For all practical purposes, I sound like I have the resume to be super crafty; you know, a whiz with the sewing machine, fluent in craft-store speak, blink my eyes and hem my husband's pants, etc...
Unfortunately, I can't live up to any of that! But, that doesn't mean I don't want to. I'd also like to wake-up one day and carry a fabulous tune--maybe sing loud enough so the people next to me at church can hear my notes (and I'm not ashamed). :)
Since I can't force my voice to find the melody or my hands to keep the rhythm, I'll just tackle what I can control (when I have time!).
Project One:
Learn how to thread my sewing machine (never mind that this is my second sewing machine because my first is "too complicated.")
Project Two:
Make a few pennant banners for Blakely's Strawberry Shortcake birthday party!
I started with Pinterest and searched for good tutorials. I used these two the most, but deviated from both: Home. Kids. Life. & Sugar Bee Crafts. I went super simple: even though I realize this is already a no-brainer project. But, hey, I'm a first-timer.
So, I'm about to share how to make the world's easiest fabric pennant banners. If you're well beyond my limited experience, skip my tutorial (please!) -- it may sound silly and trite to you :). But, if you are at all like me--then this is why I share!
* Choose coordinating fabric--maybe 3-4 prints! It doesn't take much. I used about a 1/2 yard of each and made 3 1/2 banners. I didn't wash or dry my fabric since I'm not planning to ever throw the banners in the wash. I did, however, iron my fabric before starting.
* Make a triangle pattern. I used card stock. Any pen will work for tracing! I started cutting by folding up the fabric to save time, but decided I was losing too much to scrap fabric. I then traced by flipping my triangle pattern up and down. Of course, this made half of my Strawberry Shortcake girls come out upside down, but I could live with that. She wasn't cheap fabric. ;)
* Lay out fusible interfacing and iron to triangles. It's easiest to iron on triangles first and then cut around the fusible interfacing. Honestly, I hated this step. I think my flannel fabric was too heavy for the interfacing and wasn't bonding right. Or maybe it was just me. :) I did the interfacing for my cotton print, but thought it was too time-consuming. I'll skip it altogether next time. It works just fine without.
The other option is to sew two right sides together and flip inside out (or outside in--whatevs ;)). I would only do this if the back of the banner will be seen (like it won't be pinned against a wall).
* Cut triangles out now that the interfacing has been fused (if you so choose to proceed with interfacing). AND... lay out your bias tape.
Choose double wide folded (yada, yada) -- I think that's how it was labeled. This way you just open at at the crease and stuff your triangle in.
Start stitching! This is the easiest part.
* If you're like me, you're bound to make a few mistakes. Here is one of mine: I accidentally grabbed my next triangle without looking and which side was up. No bueno. Good thing my mom had gifted me a seam ripper. She knows me well.
*In Hawaii, when something is done--we say all pau! Check out your finished product.
*Finally, if you can, use up your scraps. I had a few extra triangles, but not more bias tape. I used strawberry ribbon instead. I kind of like the results!
Notice, or maybe don't, the middle red triangle. Yup, another easy mistake for a non-perfectionist such as myself. I sewed it on sideways. Again, good thing it doesn't really bother me!
Trust me, if I can do this, so can you!
Go and be crafty!
Much love,
Katie
p.s. -- I didn't know how to find bias tape or fusible interfacing. I had to swallow my pride (toddler in tow, big belly) and ask! Remember, I feel like I look like I should know...and I don't! Sooo...lesson learned: no shame! We all have got to start somewhere. Join me!




You're fabulous! This is great, friend. Your banners are oh-so-cute and we can't wait to celebrate B's birthday under them! :)
ReplyDeletePS. I think I love this tutorial so much because like you, I'm just not a perfectionist. If it looks great to me, then I'm happy! ;)