If you asked me where I found my identity...
I'd say I'm a daughter of the most incredible God
In less Christian-ese... I find my identify in Jesus Christ because first and foremost, I'm a Christian.
However... if you asked me again...
Where do you really find your identity, Katie?
I'd say again... in Christ alone.
But then I'd stop and think.
Here's the rub.
It's hard separating oneself from something he or she has been for so long. While I do 100% believe I am complete because Jesus Christ calls me His own, I feel strange about leaving my post as a high school teacher.
Did I put much of my identity in being a high school teacher? Too much?
I'm just now trying to sort this out. Do I know myself apart from teaching crazy, amazing teenagers day in and day out?
Like I said, I am a Christian first -- and super high up on the list right after that, I'm a wife and mommy. This fulfills me...to overflowing.
But this month I have to take serious inventory of my thoughts and beliefs. I need to do some housekeeping on the inside.
I do still know my identity, right? When I take off my high school teacher hat, I'm still the same girl...right?
I know in my head that my God is enough. I just need to make sure I remember that in my heart.
When all else is stripped away, I am still a new creation in Christ.
Here's to recommitting my identity! I know who I am, but as life changes, I need to remind myself.
I love this:
"The grass withers, the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8.
Join me (if you'd like) in rediscovering your identity. When all temporary things are removed, what remains constant?
Love to you!
No comments:
Post a Comment