And use it I did. Not as faithfully as I would have liked, but there have been many seasons in the past almost 8 years of life-changing use. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time "parting" with such a sacred and sentimental binding. My previously exhausted Bible was my confirmation Bible given to me when I was in the 6th grade. Granted, I didn't rely on that dusty rose (that was the color I chose) book until the start of high school, but it was good to me for almost a decade before I was willing to let a new slim fitting Bible into my life and heart.
Before my dusty rose study Bible, I wore out a paperback Teen Study Bible. Still a fabulous Bible that I'd recommend for any teen...or adult! :)
This post isn't sounding the way I want it to quite yet. If you're reading, hang with me. I don't mean to say that I'm at the top of my game with my Bible reading and quiet times... In fact, it's quite the opposite really (more on that in a minute). I've only journeyed through three Bibles in pretty much my whole life. Of course, every person is different and treats a Bible differently. My hubby, for example, didn't grow up highlighting his Bible pages until they were raw or doodling hearts, crosses, and names throughout the margins. I think I memorialized every verse about a broken heart and/or a nagging wife...for very different reasons, but all which bring me right back to 1999. I suppose his (Tim's) engineer brain and amazing Catholic upbringing prompted him to protect his pearly white pages and make most of his notes elsewhere. So, I believe, to each their own. My feelings about attacking one's Bible with pens and markers are totally neutral. Do what works for you. I did...
So, I addictively highlight, scribble, underline, date, and even draw throughout my pages. Occasionally, I look back through my two old, beloved Bibles and get lost in a very inner, private, and wonderful place. Today, I added a third Bible to my retired Bible's club. My Valentine's Bible from Anna. I certainly wasn't planning to do that this morning. In fact, I've been resisting this day for a couple years.
Just after we were married, Tim bought me a gorgeous mid-sized Bible with my "new" name on it. I loved it from the start. I tried to assimilate it into my reading (when I read--like I said, I'm not doing as hot as I'd like with my QTs) and I tried to take to church and mark it up. I tried. And I failed. I really resisted my new Bible. Not cause I didn't love it or love that it came from my hubby. That meant the world. It's just that I was so entangled with my "college Bible." -- Yikes! I'm already almost 7 years out of college. Time to move on, Katie.
As you may be able to tell from my rough Bible timeline--I have not been pursuing the scriptures like I meant to or wanted to. Intentions are only so good...for so long (and by so long I mean not that long). I definitely found myself relying on my old underlines, highlights, and notes. I threw in a little fresh ink here and there, but I wasn't satisfied with me--my effort. God was and is just as present in each Bible. It all comes down to me and the time I put in.
You've probably quit reading by now. This is lengthy for a blog post--and probably not that interesting. But, here I am, confessing to--really--anybody--my major shortcomings.
I love Jesus with my whole heart. I live to serve Him. My husband and I strive to glorify Him in all we do. Now we are honored to raise His child (our daughter) to know Him and love Him. So it's not that I've turned away from God in these past 7 years since college. It's just that I've been less fired up about literally studying His word.
So, today is my day. It was unplanned. But it happened. I moved my cherished, but crutch-like slim, leather goodness to my Faithfulness Jar (that's for another post). And I broke out, again, my still-new, beautiful, unbent Bible which reads Kathleen Nicole Case in the bottom right. It's time.
To my Jesus, today, I begin anew...again. My promise to you, Jesus, and to myself, (and anyone still reading...haha!) --is that I will always be willing to begin anew. Thank you for your mercies, which are new every single morning. I need them--every single morning!!
Love and many blessings to you all.
| It's been a good run... :) |
| Into the Faithfulness Jar |
| Welcome, my "new" Bible! |
I love your honesty. I think all of us forget to pick it up more. I am surely guilty of this. I hope you will explain what a faithfulness jar is though. I have never heard of one. Good highlighting in your new bible :)
ReplyDeleteIndeed a case for Joy!!! with love, Dad
ReplyDeleteWhat an amzing post. I love your openness to share your faith, the shortcomings, pitfals and successes.
ReplyDeleteFaithfulness jar??? Sounds cool; what is it?