Tuesday, November 23, 2010

First Word? You be the judge!

Aloha my beloved Ohana,

So Tim and I are trying to figure out if Blakely is really saying her "first word." It's so crazy, this first word business. How does one know when a baby is trying to say a word or when a baby is just babbling. Also, how does one know when a baby understands the meaning of the word? So, then, that begs the question...what do you write in the baby book? Seriously. We are curious. Feel free to comment and share your thoughts. Also, what do you think of the video. Is she really saying, dada? And p.s. -- why do most babies say dada first? Besides the fact that I'm sure they all adore their silly daddys, I have some theories...what about you?!

9 comments:

  1. Totally counts! Throw all your logical reasonings out the window. It doesn't matter if she has no idea what she's saying...the first thing that pops out that sounds like a word is it! Of course this is coming from all my wise experience of motherhood....
    Also...dada is way easier to say than mama, moms get the short end of the stick.
    And, this was way cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh!!! i love her heavy breathing in the beginning! LOL. I love you guys'!! totally counts! dada it is!! i love you, hot momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute - I love her little voice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely counts! As soon as they copy you intentionally I say that puts them in the "official first word" zone ;) PS I think babies say words with percussive consenants first because they're easy to form. "Mama" is a little harder because you have to move your lips at the same time as making the sound. Just my thought :) Poppy's first word was "dada" and Lucy's was "hiiiii" ...go figure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY DADA! Congrats Tim! Katie your turn we'll come soon enough. At least she didn't say the dogs name as her first.

    P.S. Drew loves this video! We've watched it four times already and keeps saying more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like "Dada" to me!!! Can't believe how big she is getting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zeke and I vote ....YES! And my theory is because I always say "papa's home" or "there's papa" and I think Levi hears me say that more than Mama. We'll see what his first word is. I am so impressed and gosh she steals my heart. Talking at 8 months is pretty awesome - she is going to kepe you buys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omah and Opah Christensen also vote ... YES! They are trying to get him to say Opah at 4 months. We'll see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! It's not fair, right? Ki's first word was "Dada" (but Mike stayed home with him, so it made sense) and Ella's was "hi!" quickly followed by "Dad" and "Dada." :( Haha. So fun when they start talking! Just wait until you're constantly answering "why?" Not so cute then...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS