Monday, January 31, 2011

How Does the Favorite Work?

I've always wondered how a child chooses the favorite belonging. I can still remember my gray, love-worn bunny that rattled in the belly. I can even recall the names of my college roommate's dearest childhood stuffed loves (General and Super Bunny). I know, that's kind of a random thing to not forget...

As Blakely grows, I often wonder which of her many lovely treasures will become favorites. And do parents help children choose unintentionally? Is there some kind of subconscious bias? Does anyone else ponder this?

Lately Blakely has shown her first fascination and commitment to an item. And of all things, it's a book! Yay! That warms my heart. Not that she can read it or even know it's a book, but still...

I couldn't help but steal some quick vids this weekend to document her first real attachment to something inanimate. B will literally hold this book in her sleep. Go figure. Enjoy. And much love from me and Blakes (and Timmy).





2 comments:

  1. She is TOO cute ;) With the favorite thing, I picked one blanket for both girls that I always had right next to them when I was putting them to sleep or rocking them and they both got attached to each blanket. Lucy called hers "Bs". I did that intentionally so that they would have a comfort item that wasn't me:)that would help when they weren't at home or with us. A book works just as well, not quite as snuggly though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that is so cute! Books are fantastic at any age. I do wonder what makes someone choose what they do as their favorite. Mine was a "ducky blanket" (which was actually a chicken, but I didn't care).

    On a different note, were those videos shot with a flip camera?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS