Thursday, April 7, 2011

Grammar with Kate: Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Aloha!

Did you know how versatile and cool the word buffalo is? My college student sister introduced me to the very cool sentence using only the word buffalo.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." is a grammatically valid sentence in the English language, used as an example of how homonyms and homophones can be used to create complicated linguistic constructs.


So...buffalo is a verb (kind of like: to bully): I buffaloed, you buffaloed, we buffaloed...we were buffaloing...

Buffalo is also a noun--you know, buffalo (aka: bison).

And finally, it can technically be used as an adjective (Buffalo, New York): the Buffalo buffalo (the New York bison... get it?)

Here's more from Wikipedia:

The sentence reads as a claim that bison who are intimidated or bullied by bison are themselves intimidating or bullying to bison (at least in the city of Buffalo, impliedly Buffalo, NY):
Bison from Buffalo, New York, who are intimidated by other bison in their community, also happen to intimidate other bison in their community.

THE buffalo FROM Buffalo WHO ARE buffaloED BY buffalo FROM Buffalo, buffalo (verb) OTHER buffalo FROM Buffalo.

If you're into this (I think it's pretty darn cool/geeky), check out this YouTube video I found! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. HAA HAA HAA; I love it! Who would have thought Buffalo had so many uses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, this made me LAUGH! found you on Faithblogs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jami and Alyson!! I love words and love sharing! :) Thanks for enjoying.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS