The house smelled like chocolate and cinnamon. I hurriedly flung the front door open and slid around the corner and shrugged off my Jansport.
Mom, we're home! I cried out excitedly.
Before she could leave the kitchen for a home-from-school kiss, I had already folded my lanky body into the corner between the boxy speaker and the record player.
I lifted the needle and replaced the current record with Amy Grant's Tender Tennessee Christmas. I started with song #4. The intro to Emmanuel made my entire 8-year-old body feel like Christmas all over!
Never mind that it was just three in the afternoon. Our Sunnyvale house was a Christmas wonderland! The tree was lit up, cookies were fresh, Amy Grant cooed, and hot cocoa was on its way. Christmas couldn't have been more magical.
Now that I'm 30 (that came fast), have my own home, my own lit up tree in broad daylight, and my own little girl, Christmas seems just as magical. Probably because Amy Grant's Tender Tennessee Christmas is still at the top of the play list. ;) And, amidst the hectic-ness of the season, I still make time to bake rich and aromatic cookies for anyone who comes this way!
I baked another round of my favorite Candy Cane Russian Teacakes yesterday. This time I snapped a few pics and thought I'd share the love cyber-ly. Since I can't offer you all a cookie, here's a very simple recipe! So simple and common, I'm almost embarrassed to share it! ;) Just five ingredients. Try it out, play some Amy, and enjoy your moment!
Candy Cane Russian Teacakes
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup crushed candy canes (or chopped walnuts)
1/3 cup (or more) reserve powdered sugar for coating
Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
Here's the run-down!
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Crush your candy canes (I suggest using a rolling pin, but use it more like a hammer and less like its intended use.)
3. Cream butter and vanilla till smooth
--it helps to let the butter soften, but I usually forget to do that. --recipe works fine with margarine too.
It may seem a bit lumpy, but since I'm not a perfectionist I just move on to the next step and the bumps and lumps work themselves out! ;)
4. Combine sugar and flour and blend into mix
--I just dump it in and let my Kitchen Aid do the work on a low speed.
This part takes a few minutes and I eventually help the flour residue on the sides and bottom to mix with the rest.
5. Mix in crushed candy canes (or chopped walnuts)
--again, the mixer does it for me. This recipe is also good with macadamia nuts!
6. Shape into 1 inch balls
--I grease my cookie trays and prep my extra dough. In the picture below, the uncooked balls are on the plate and the cooked ones are on the sheet.
7. Bake for 12 minutes at 350
--I use two cookie sheets and set my timer for 6 minutes. Then I swap the trays in the oven (from top to bottom) and cook the remaining 6 minutes. If my balls are on the big side, I may add a minute, but don't bake too long. They'll look a little "uncooked" -- and that's okay!
8. When cool, roll in reserve powdered sugar
Now! Enjoy! It's super easy to double, triple, etc... this recipe! It makes for easy home baked gifts for neighbors and friends!
p.s. I'd be remiss if I didn't say that the real reason Christmas remains so magical for me is because of the very real celebration that Jesus Christ was born as a human baby and died on the cross 30 years later to give us everlasting life! Of course, Amy Grant does add to the magic, too!
Mele Kalikimaka! I'll trade you some sun for some clouds today! xoxo
Yumm! I'm missing your Christmas cookies this week! And you! What a sweet blog post! :) xoxo
ReplyDelete