Friday, February 24, 2012

Independent & Confident: For better or worse


"Shortcake, mommy?" *As in can I please watch my Strawberry Shortcake DVD for the millionth time?*

"Shucks, sorry Blakes, we don't have time. But I have something really fun for us to do."

"Treat?"

"Kind of...let's get daddy."

Last night we cruised back to Kapolei for the farmer's market at my high school and the family night play version of Wizard of Oz. It was Blakely's first live community theatre experience; I was pretty pumped to introduce her to real shows.
*******************************************************
At the farmer's market, Blakely chooses an oatmeal raisin cookie for dinner and I snag a Thai mix plate!

Daddy juggles two pillows, three blankets, two chairs, a fresh squeezed limeade drink for me (my hero), and Blakely's backpack full of snacks (family night is picnic style!). We stand in line before the doors open.

So far, so smooth.

Minutes later, and much to my delight, we see Blakely's daycare provider and her family walking up.

"Auntieeeeeeee" B squeals. *Big hugs*

Then, and I could not have orchestrated it better myself, Blakely's bestie from daycare and her parents join the line.

Blakely is beside herself.

"Leah...where are you?" she sings. "There you are!"

*more uncoordinated hugs*

The line moves. We claim a spot, spread out our blankets, and curl up with dinner. The lights dim... AND...

Tim and I are old news.

"Auntie" Blakely whimpers (not-so-quietly). More fanatic circular chest rubs (baby sign for please).

I can't just let her whine as the opening scene begins. If you've heard my daughter make any kind of noise, pleasant or not, you know she has only one volume--and it's not soft. :) I desperately release her chubby little body in hopes that she'll zip it and stay calm.

She squirms right off my lap and marches across the darkly lit venue to grab Leah's hand.

Leah slides off her mommy's lap.

The two head straight for Auntie's chair (our fabulous daycare gal). I whisper a joke to Tim about paying overtime as Blakely invites herself and Leah to climb on up.

The good witch Glenda comes on stage.

Across the room, I hear Blakely gasp loudly "Princess!"

I turn my head and smile, but put my index finger up to my lips in an exaggerated fashion. I hope she notices me. I doubt she does.

Minutes late, B wiggles off Auntie's lap and makes a bee line, dodging other play-goers, straight for me!

Yay! My baby is back to cuddle with me and enjoy live theatre! Delightful. This is just what I imagined.

"Nilk, mommy!" She starts rifling through my bag for her milk cup.

I sigh. She doesn't really want me. I hand her a cup of juice to keep her quiet.

"Joose" she whines...as if to protest because it's not what she asked for.

She accepts. She dances right back to Leah's side and Auntie's lap. She doesn't even glance back.

The play moves along. The cowardly lion comes out looking for courage.

Tim and I whip our heads to the right when we hear this loud, raspy sounding "ROOOAAR"come out of you-know-who's mouth!

She's having the best time sharing pirates booty popcorn and juice with her girl Leah. Both little girls lean into Auntie and cuddle up together.

Blakely treks back and forth (several more times) between daddy & mommy and Auntie & Leah. She asks for snack, treat, nilk, and monkey.

I lean my head on Tim's shoulder and feel baby girl kicking inside of me. One is sticking with me. She has no choice...for now. ;)

I wonder quietly to Tim... "is this just the beginning?"

Will our social not-yet-two-year-old always be so quick to scoop up her girlfriends, charm a crowd, and choose another seat? 


Did my mom plan evenings and wish I'd spend more time by her side? Did I gleefully find my friends and practice my independence?


I'm sure, er, I know I did. 


Don't get me wrong, I'm blessed that my Blakely girl is already confident, independent, social, and loving. I can embrace all that.

I just anticipate how quickly this time with her will go. How soon she'll go to sleepovers, borrow the car, and bring friends home on a Friday night.

I'm excited for all that's to come, but right now I want every moment where she stays on my lap to last a lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    I love your stories. Your life in Hawaii sounds so lovely! What an adorable and independent little one you have there. I am sure you're mom understood when you did that just as you are understanding with Blakely! I find myself, every year, trying to figure out what third grader in my class, I was most like. The talkative, the one that always wants to 'help', etc...I find myself cringing at times, wanting to go find all my old teachers and apologize. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS