Sunday, June 12, 2011

Yummmm....Coffee... :)

Hi There,

Happy Sunday! I love Sundays. Mostly because I love going to church and I love spending time with my family. Currently, I'm working on setting up two new online classrooms for University of Phoenix while my love bbqs up some turkey burgers. Miss B is doing her dinosaur walk around the house--mostly chasing the dogs!

Anyway, I hit some technical issues with what I was doing for work, so I decided to take a quick break and share some blog love!

How's your weekend been?

This morning Tim made our Kona peaberry coffee first thing and brought me a hot mug of coffee with skim milk while I read up on The Bachelorette in my People magazine! Oh...the little things! (btw--yikes! Did you see The Bachelorette last Monday? Bentley? Oh my.)

Last weekend we went coffee tasting! Fun, right? We went to at least five different coffee plantations in Kona and took a few tours! We tasted ah-mazing coffee at each stop! Here are some fun pics!



As mentioned in the sign above, this coffee plantation grows their coffee beans like they would wine grapes--it's trellis grown. This is done to give the branches and beans maximum exposure to the elements! We went Father's Day shopping here--don't tell our dads ;).

Did you know that you can't just roast a green bean straight from the branch? Coffee beans are peeled back--several layers to get to the actual green bean that can be roast. Did you know that you can buy green beans and roast them at home? All the peeling of outer layers is previously done.

This was our second stop of the morning and my favorite coffee farm!


Can you think of a better way to get your morning cup? They even have reserve blends available to sample. The reserve blends are usually the best beans from only their farm.

I gave her my cup. She really wanted it. It was pretty much empty. I swear! :) I can't help it if she's a little coffee drinker in the making. She's her mother's daughter. :)


Every couple of years the coffee trees are stumped and they start fresh. Interesting, right? You probably know that a typical coffee bean has one rounded side and one flat side. That's because 95% of coffee beans split into two within a pod. However, the peaberries don't split. They are the 5% of "special" beans that have a smoother, bolder flavor because the entire bean stays rounded. Yum! Have you tired peaberry? 

I hope you enjoyed my brief virtual Kona coffee tour. They say the beans are extra special because of the volcanic soil. I believe them! Why not?! :) My morning cup today was pretty fabulous!

Here's to a virtual coffee date. Love to you!

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, I'm jealous! I used to work in a coffee shop that roasts all its own beans. The Hawaiian ones were a couple of the most expensive! Mmmm. Now I want a peaberry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. really. enjoyed. this. post. I love coffee! Can't wait to get back to Hawaii. I will go coffee tasting. Wine shmine. I'll take coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS