Lana'i -- A weekend away!
Our little family hasn't been off the island since October. We were aching for some colder weather, open fields, and giant trees! Probably even more than that we just wanted to slow our pace way down.
We figured Lana'i would be just the place!
Simple, quaint, and quiet. We were in outer-island heaven.
While there are pretty much just two options for lodging, we opted out of dining at the resort in favor of as many local eateries as possible. Each was unique, local, and delicious!
We loved the lawn bowling and croquet!
I tried to soak in some of the history.
- In 1922 Jim Dole bought Lana'i for $1.1 million and converted it to pineapple fields. Wow...I'm sure $1.1 million was crazy money in the 20s, but I'm sort of floored that the entire (or perhaps most of it) island was bought for just that. I mean there are plenty of modest homes on the West side of Oahu that cost more than $1 million today.
- Supposedly, at one time Lana'i supplied 75% of all the world's pineapple. That's a heck of a lot of pineapple from a pretty small island!
- Along the way I read that Lana'i was once (much earlier) inhabited by evil spirits until Maui Chief Kakaalaneo exiled his mischievous son, Kaululaau to Lana'i.
Exploring Lana'i City was my favorite part, but I also loved the time the three of us spent indoors. Turns out that Blakely's not half bad at Chess and I pretty much stink at pool! ;)
My pool girl xoxo
My handsome hubby! I'm pretty sure he forgot that he was wearing Blakely's bracelet to keep it safe for her. He's a good daddy.
Both my girls. :)
I also found out that there is not an OBGYN or mid-wife on the island. Good thing baby girl stayed put for our little getaway. I hear that expecting mamas who live on Lana'i have to relocate to Oahu or Maui a month before their due dates. After delivering baby, they can come back home.
It's a very sweet island and I hope we can visit again. If you ever get the chance, I highly suggest some time on Lana'i.








No comments:
Post a Comment