My little blue-eyed one is munching on my new favorite cranberry coffee cake creation.
I scheduled a couple of morning play dates last week and I wanted to come bearing coffee cake. Some concoction of banana bread or muffins (laced with flax seed and whole wheat everything) are my morning stand-bys for taking along. But, this time I decided to shy away from uber amounts of fiber and make something a tad richer.
Still, I wanted to use greek yogurt and well, I just can't put away my flax seed. I searched online for a recipe using sour cream and Bisquick. Sooo not my usual keywords, but I had easy and delicious on my mind. I read over a few recipes and adapted from there. I swapped in greek yogurt, cut back on sugar, and added some extras.
The end result was pretty darn good. Definitely worth sharing (it's fast and easy) and a recipe I want to archive for my own sake!
Here it is uncooked...
Here's what I did...
preheat: 325
grease 9x13 pan
Combine the following to make the cake:
2 cups Bisquick
3/4 cup sugar
flax seed (however much you like)
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup yogurt (I used Greek)
Mix on medium speed until batter becomes fluffy
Combine (in a separate bowl) the following to make the topping/filling:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon (or more) cinnamon
nutmeg to taste (if you like)
1 cup cranberries (pre-soaked and strained -- to soften)
chopped nuts or dark chocolate (if you like)
Now...prepare in pan:
spread half of cake batter in the bottom of the pan
spread half of topping/filling over batter in pan
spread rest of the batter over the topping/filling
use rest of topping/filling as final layer
use a knife to marbelize by creating a zig-zag pattern in the pan
Bake for approximately 45 minutes (I'm sure ovens vary). A toothpick should come out clean when done. Cake will appear golden.
While great for breakfast, I preferred it later in the evening as dessert...warmed with cool whip on top!
Blakely was happy to share hugs and some scrumptious coffee cake with these little ones!
The baby sisters got in on the fun, too... well, their idea of fun anyway. :)
Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment