Sunday, September 5, 2010

Rockin' the Granite...Part One

So...I love my husband because he's willing to try anything...once. This is our first (and possibly only) attempt at DIY granite countertops. We are starting with our bathrooms....and most likely ending with our bathrooms ;). While it'd be nice to do the kitchen, that may be a little out of our league. We'll see what happens.

In another post, I'll show you the before and after photos (when we get that far!).

Today, Tim and his co-worker turned buddy, Curtis, headed to Honolulu to visit a place called Selective Stone. Apparently, Selective Stone has three locatoins: Honolulu, Los Angeles, and Bejing (I know, random!). Anyway, they'll sell a larger slab of granite than Home Depot or Lowes. Tim was also able to buy a slab with rounded edges. I think there is a fancier term, but no need. :)

The trick was getting the granite home. Who knew that it's not best to lay granite down flat? Forunately an Ewa side granite guy was in the shop. He gave Tim a "good" deal on delivery.

Tim immediately set up shop on our lanai and used a skill saw to cut down the granite. I hung out on the lanai for moral support and took some photos.

Hopefully I'll get to write a Part Two to this post and share the next steps...

For now I'm off to a bbq with my friends!
Happy Labor Day Weekend!!

The granite slab that Tim picked out.
We forgot a dust mask, so we had to improvise. :)
Adjusting the width (a little too much on accident!).

Using a skill saw to divide it into two parts--for two different bathrooms.



2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS