Thursday, January 20, 2011

McBesty

I meant to blog this exactly one week ago--on Yasmin's birthday. You see, Yasi Girl turned 30 years old one week ago today (Jan. 12th). I just cherish her. She is so dear to me. If you know her, then you know why.

I'm not sure what to make of this year. I turn 30 in just five short months. I'm glad Yasi could break in 30 for me. I'm thinking it's gonna be fabulous. Mostly because I don't know what else to think and I refuse to be sad. I already did the whole "quarter-life crisis" thing like six years ago. Anyway, life is good. It always is.

One example: Gchat (gmail chat). I literally sat down at my computer 15 minutes ago with every intention of creating this post and then falling in line with my already sleeping husband. I was just sidetracked by the little green icon in the lower left of my gmail. The glowing light alerted me that Yasmin (two hours away--time zones that is) was also online. Aw, nothin like a silly chat with my long-time friend to end the night. Funny thing is that I was just thinking about her and pumped to dedicate this post to her. Words can't express what kind of a friend she is to me.

Okay--because I know your time is limited. Let me share a couple pics of this very-does-not-look-30, beautiful girl with you. Then I'll copy/paste the toast I wrote for her wedding. It just about sums up who she is to me and so many others. Finally, I'll link you to her fabulous photography page. Enjoy!




Yah, we are suckers for matching anything--even deodorant. This was probably around year 2000. ;)
 

Yasi's amazing, touching, 3-page toast ;) at my wedding!

My toast at Yasi's wedding--check for it below!


Aunty Yasi with newborn Blakely <3


Loved


  For more about Katie and Yasi--check out my narrative/toast:

My mind spun with memories. I felt so honored to be sitting in my living room dreaming up the perfect words to share with my dearest friend and the love of her life. Problem was that the "perfect words" I dreamt of were entirely unattainable. How was I ever going to do justice to my feelings and desires for this most incredible couple. After staring at my blank computer screen for several long minutes, I decided I needed a little background music and Starbucks coffee. I shuffled through my old school CDs and popped in Rose Blossom Punch. Of course, I had to run down the street and pick up my venti, extra hot, non fat, vanilla latte...decaf this time.
Back on my couch, I closed my eyes and replayed the first day Yasmin Khajavi started at Tigard High School. Her energy, her wild dark hair, her bright eyes, and her free spirit made her unforgettable. Her optimism: contagious. When she started talking at lightening speed, I knew we were destined to be the best of friends. Memories flooded my mind as I cranked up Rose Blossom: Mr. Bailey's math class, TP adventures, prom dates, Yasi's 18th birthday bash, rollerblading to Plaid Pantry, and Shari's after our all night grad party. I smiled to myself and thanked God again for my beloved friend. I tried to start my toast. After all, the wedding was just days away! But alas, the memories kept coming. I replayed some of our deepest conversations--most taking place on those overstuffed brown striped Coffee People chairs. Gosh, I love Yasmin. She has been there for me in my hardest moments. She gets me. My mind reeled through our times at OSU and life after college! I grabbed a photo album off my shelf and flipped through pictures of Yasi and me with her Tri Delta girls. I thought about how true of a friend Yasmin is to so many. She touches our world one life at a time! As I reflected on more than a decade, it seemed so fitting that she's going to marry this remarkable man, Aaron Poresky. I knew I may never have the "perfect words" but I could try to do justice to my thoughts--cliches and all. I began clicking away at my keyboard. And ever-so-carefully wrote my toast.

Dearest Yasmin and Aaron,

I could not be happier for both of you today! I am beyond honored to stand with you as a witness for your commitment to each other.

Aaron, your steadiness, patience, and independence drew Yasmin in. I watched as you loved my friend so purely and unselfishly. You brought out the best in Yasmin. In the past few years some of her undiscovered passions have come to life: photography and her love of books being just two. You encourage her to be the best possible version of herself she can be. I have seen more joy and fervor in Yasi since your lives have unfolded together! And that's saying a lot because she's always been an exceptionally vibrant person! I'm so thrilled that today you call Yasmin your wife. You are an amazing person and you complement Yasi so completely.

Yas, you are the most refreshing person and you never run out of love for others. I so admire your compassion and depth. I can only imagine the amount of love you have for your new husband today!! Mother Teresa said this: "I have found the paradox that if I love until it hurts, then there is no hurt, but only more love." Yasi--you love like this...through all obstacles and so unconditionally. Aaron is blessed to know this depth of love from you. I am proud of you Yasmin. I love you dearly....as a sister. Please know that I promise to support you and Aaron in your marriage for the rest of our lives. I will always pray for you both.

Here's to the beautiful, authentic love that Yasmin and Aaron share. May you always love each other more each day!! Cheers! I love you both.
 
For more on Yasmin's Photography, please visit ykvision.com. Her tenacious spirit and artsy gift are precisely woven together for spectacular photography. You've gotta see it.
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, Kate! What an incredible blog post. And what an emotional toast! It's so neat to read it! Thank you! I can't tell you how touched I am by this! Honest. This is so dear to me! You are so dear to me. So much love to you!!! Awh! You're so good to me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS