Sunday, February 13, 2011

Had to Share: Super Foods and Super Cute Monkeys

Aloha! Happy Sunday my Ohana!

It's been a week since I last had a chance to post! Not that you're counting...I'm sure you're not ;). But, I've been thinking about my humble little blog corner here and all of you, of course.

The responsibilities were piled on high this past week, but fortunately (by God's grace) I took it hour by hour and I think it all worked out just so!

Okay, when I took a few mental breaks last week, here is what was on my mind:

Super food! I am a freak for healthy eating. Not that I always eat healthily (SPK --if ya know what I mean), but I do try. And now that I feed little nummers, I try even harder.

Does anyone else get Real Simple? It's my top magazine choice. Anyway, this article is the bomb: The 30 Healthiest Foods. It was also just the kick in my akole that I needed to finally pick up some fresh kale and give it a shot.

Here, let me share Blakely's fave breakfast, my go-to in the morning, and our newest cube on the block...

Greek yogurt (Costco), flax seeds (Trader Joe's), and mango/pineapple/carrot juice (Target).

Coach's Oats, almonds, dried blueberries, and flax seed. Add to crockpot with water and cook on high for 2-3 hours--it's perfect!

Coffee, too, of course!

Pull kale from spine (is that the right word?) and mix with chopped apples and a quarter cup of water (give or take). Cook on medium heat until apples and kale are softened (maybe 10-15 minutes--stirring occasionally).

Add apples, kale, and flax seed (if you want) to food processor--blend until smooth (3ish minutes).

Store in ice cube trays or baby food freezer trays.

Although I didn't look it up, I imagine it's good to stay in freezer for a couple of months. Of course, the sooner baby eats, the better in terms of nutrients (of which kale is jam packed).


Aren't these sock monkeys cute? I found them at Walmart for $3 each. Blakely will take them to daycare on Monday for her little friends. The middle one is for Jackson and Leah and Alana will get the sweet blue ones. The teddy bear around the corner is for baby Evelyn.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! So fun to see what you are up too and little miss too! I am going to try your chocolate biscotti recipe soon, looks delish and so do these! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS