Sunday, February 12, 2012

Love Languages and Odes


Last week my coworker bestie and I organized a theme day for our students. Every Wednesday we do leadership traits as the overarching theme. So for our most recent day, Lia and I chose love as a leadership trait.

credit
We mostly taught about agape (unconditional) and philia (brotherly). Among other things, we revamped a love languages quiz and introduced ode writing.

For fun, Tim and I re-took the husband/wife version of the quiz. Do you know your love language? How about the language of those closest to you? There's a version to fit us all. Click here to start your online quiz.
credit
Go figure--Tim and I scored exactly opposite. His most dominant love languages were my weakest. I like to joke that I'm strongest in all the languages...I'll take the love however I can get it!

So, I try not to ask my students to do something I haven't recently tried myself. I figured I'd better write an ode. My students had to choose a love "category" from the Greek. I demonstrated my unconditional love for a season of life. Here it is...


Ode to Two Years

Two years came so quickly.
I didn’t know you’d sneak up like that.
While you can be trying, two years, you are also so surprising and exciting.
I’m just barely getting glimpses of all that you are bringing to my little girl.
So far, two years, you’ve brought new words—scratch that—sentences.
“Where are you?” ~ “There you are!”
“Baby nigh nigh” ~ “Baby hunry”
You’ve brought laughter and bright eyes,
And a longing for The Little Mermaid and The Lion King.
But, two years, sometimes I’m not ready for you.
You are introducing tantrums and stubbornness.
You make my little girl refuse all food but mac & cheese.
Because of you, she kicks her shoes off in the car and throws her milk to the ground.
Two years, how long do you plan to stay?
Since you came early, any chance you’ll exit before three?
Don’t get me wrong, you are important and we need you…
But, you’re also exhausting and sometimes frustrating.
Here’s the thing, no matter what mood swing you bring, I love you so much!
Nothing can change that.
Thanks for helping my little girl grow into the miniature person 
God has made her to be.


And just for fun...


XO my friends and family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS