Thursday, July 5, 2012

24 Hour Layered Salad


Hello to you!

My big one is snoozin' right now and my little one is giving me smiles and coos. I think we may be past the "gas" smiles and onto real ones. In any case, I love it. I kind of wondered if all the little baby things would be as magical the second time around. And...yup..they sure are!

Okay! I thought I'd share a recipe today. Every now and again, I like to post my best handed down family recipes. It's nice to have them archived and I like to share. :)

I doubt there's anything too original about this 24 hour layered salad. I'm sure there are a bazillion recipes out there for this, but I use what my mom gave me and it's pretty darn good! I made it yesterday for a Fourth of July BBQ.




It's easy. The only trick is planning in advance so the ingredients are ready to assemble the night before.

Here's whatcha need:
  • 1 head iceberg lettuce
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 1 green pepper
  • 2 green onions
  • 1 package (10 oz) frozen peas
  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 package Parmesan cheese
  • 3 hard boiled eggs
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1/2 lb bacon
The night before:

Layer all the green ingredients in a deep (preferably glass) bowl. I bought a $6 trifle bowl at Walmart. :)

It doesn't matter how you do the layers, but I basically layered them in the order listed above (iceberg lettuce, celery, green pepper, green onion, frozen peas).

Next, mix the mayo and sugar in a dish. Then, spread the mayo mixture over the top of the layers. This seals it.

Now, add the cheese atop the mayo. Cover. Place in fridge overnight.

Before you clean up, prep the toppings so they are ready to go. Hard boil the eggs and chop when cool. Dice the tomatoes. Cook the bacon and crumble when cool. Keep these on the side.

Before serving, place the eggs, tomatoes, and bacon on top!

The salad will look pretty all layered, but according to my mama, it's best to toss it all up before serving. This way everyone gets all the goods!

My mom's trick: toss in a separate bigger bowl and then transfer back to pretty trifle bowl!

Serve cold! Enjoy!

Happy Fourth of July from my ohana to yours!





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS