Aloha! It's Tuesday!
Not to mention, it's my Bachelorette night. Word. We don't have cable so I can't watch on Monday nights. We only get NBC. That's alright. My mama flies in tonight. Perfect chance to stream my guilty pleasure and indulge with my mom!
Sooo... I hope you don't mind if I share a teensy bit more about my baby love. I want to archive some highlights from her birth story. You know, so I can pull them out later. Maybe share with her!
No messy details here...just some sweet notes! Feel free to read if you like! I'm beyond thrilled with this sweet girl my heavenly father has loaned to me! Love her.
Dear Colbie,
You were born on May 15th. I knew you were coming on this day. You were "due" the day before. But due dates are so arbitrary and my babies are apparently quite comfy on the inside. My doctor and I decided the Tuesday morning induction date would be best since you were measuring on the small side (go figure!). We wanted to be sure all was right with your little body.
They asked us to check into the hospital at 5AM. Can you believe it? Early! We left the house at 4:30 -- just after we took the above picture! We were SO excited. I got up at 3:30 to shower, do hair, makeup, etc... I wanted to look my best for your arrival. Your daddy made me a delicious omelet and hot coffee while I got ready!
When they started to induce my labor, they told me it could take up to 24 hours! Yikes! I didn't think I could wait that long to hold you.
I wasn't going into labor at all on my own ... you were not about to come out without being evicted. Your sister was the same way. Thank God, that I responded to the process of being induced. We prayed that I would. It all got started about 7:30 AM and you joined us by 2:48 PM -- just a short 7 hours later. Not bad. Thank you!
Colbie Maureen, you were 6 pounds, 13 ounces. You were 19 1/2 inches long! We loved the name Colbie and you have your grandma's name for a middle name. We think it's perfect and suits you well.
It was your dad and me (along with a couple nurses and our doctor) in the delivery room. Yasmin flew in three days later and then my sister and Connor came in. Your dad's mom came in June and my mom and dad came in July. For the first couple days, it was just us!
In the picture above, you are a couple of hours old. We couldn't set you down!
You looked like me! Your dark hair and olive skin were perfect from birth. You were born with dark blue eyes.
I brought swaddle blankets just for you. I wrapped you up right away so you could look a little more "you."
Of course, I couldn't wait to share your pretty face. I had sweet pics uploaded to Instagram and Facebook. We sent out the text announcements and made phone calls too. Who knows what "social networking" will look like by the time you read this!
Your daddy and I loved having time with just you. No distractions. No chores. Nothing. We sat in the hospital bed and talked to you, held you, sang to you. But, we were also extremely excited for your big sister to meet you. Our neighbors (Jeremiah, Laurie, and Natalie) were taking care of Blakely for us. They brought her to the hospital Tuesday night so she could meet you on your first night.
I can't tell you how much your big sister adores you. Of course, she took a few minutes to take it all in. All in all, she warmed up quickly.
Are you wondering about your dogs? Don't worry...they played at our other friends down the street (Sean, Deborah, and their dog Liam).
We were so blessed by all of our dear friends on the island -- since our family on the mainland couldn't quite be here yet. They wanted to be, of course. It's just hard to time a birth with airplane tickets!
In the picture above, I'm holding you about 3 hours after you were born. They moved us from a birthing room to a mother/baby room. I had to stay connected to my IV for several more hours. The bummer about having my labor induced is that I'm all hooked up to monitors and whatnot. I don't have as much freedom of movement. But, I'm eternally grateful for a smooth, healthy delivery...however it happens!
After Blakely went home with Laurie and Jeremiah that first night, we slept! You were a pretty terrific sleeper from the first night. Honestly, you woke up only once a night for the first month and half. You are almost two months old as I write this and you are just starting to sleep a good seven hours from 10:30 - 5:30. I got lucky!
Our second day in the hospital was Wednesday 5/16. We were scheduled to stay until Thursday, but we felt great. We asked to be released early so we could go home and do life there. We wanted to be back with Blakely. It was strange to have you here, but not have you with your sister.
The day on Wednesday went by quickly. They didn't check on us as often as they did when I had Blakely. Since it was my second birth, they didn't seem as concerned. It was a positive thing.
Check out our room. They told us it's the best one! The view was lovely.
Wednesday night, the hospital staff brought us a celebration dinner. I ordered the steak! It even came with a bottle of sparkling cider! You slept and your dad and I enjoyed a quiet (somewhat good) dinner. We were so excited to have our mini church come by after dinner and then take you home a bit after that.
We sure love our friends on this island. Rachel and Nick captured some amazing photos for us this night.
After everyone left, Blakely stayed at the hospital. I felt a whole mix of emotions, but more on that in another post...
It was surreal and amazing to have our family of four. We packed up! We had a sweet bouquet of flowers sent from your grandma and a bouquet of delicious cookies set from dad's work. We took these home to cheer up the house! Rachel and Nick had left more flowers and delicious ahi in our fridge for us at home! We felt loved and taken care of.
We brought a few gifts to the hospital -- they were from you to your big sister. One of the gifts was a doll carseat carrier. Blakely brought her baby Lily to the hospital and played with her new baby doll carseat. We wanted Blakely to feel extremely special and important while she met you! She was happy you had gifts for her!
Of course, when it was time to leave, Blakely wasn't in the mood to carry her baby out. Check out your good daddy below. :)
We slept well on Wednesday night. All of us in our own beds! We actually had to go get Blakely's bed since we had carried it over to the neighbors for Tuesday night!
Before going to sleep on Wednesday, Blakely wanted to hold you! I'll never forget her crazy red hair all over your tiny little face. She had filled up her diaper so much that we had to save her pants for the wash and bring her home in a new diaper. She was wearing her "I'm Going to be a Big Sister" t-shirt. She was so proud of you!
Thursday was your first full day at home! It was also the quiet day that we mostly spent with just the four of us.
The hospital doctors only let us go home early on the contingency that we made a doctor appointment for you on Thursday. We went in first thing to visit our pediatrician, Dr. Morisada. She thought you looked healthy, fabulous, and beautiful!
Blakely took care of Lily and you while we waited!
You wore the same thing on Thursday that you wore home from the hospital the night before on Wednesday. It was the softest pink layette. I ordered it from Kicky Pants just for you. It was pricer than most baby clothes, but I wanted the softest and stretchiest little one piece for you. It's like a little night gown that cinches up around your feet. The matching hat kept your head warm and we pulled the little mitten covers over your fingers because you constantly pulled your own hair.
We did venture across the street to the park later on Thursday. Laurie, Jeremiah, and Natalie met us over there. Blakely played and you rested on your swaddle blanket. Laurie took this picture as was mid-sentence. Probably bragging about you!
Thursday came and went all too fast. Friday morning felt a tiny bit more "normal." Except for the fact that it was your daddy's birthday! Yep. He turned 29 just three days after you were born.
I snuck out early Friday morning to get a box of donuts and a balloon. Blakely and I "served" your dad breakfast in bed. It was such a precious morning with all four of us. You were the best birthday present your dad could possible receive.
I think Blakely sampled every single donut! That girl!
You stayed by your daddy's side, all snuggled up in your Woombie (genius for swaddling). I won't forget that birthday morning. Not ever. I was extremely happy!
Auntie Yasi flew in later that morning! It was wonderful.
Well, Colbie, that takes us to Friday night. We had friends over to join us for a fire on the patio. I picked up Chocolate Haupia Pie from Ted's Bakery. Your dad's favorite. You slept a lot. You pretty much slept away most of your first three weeks! You were beautiful doing it.
I'll stop recounting here. This is your story of your first three days. Life is a priceless gift. I'm so glad to be a part of yours. I can't wait to see what you do with your days.
May you love the Lord your God above all else. Always.
I love you, baby Coco.
xoxo,
Your mama


Thats Beautiful Katie!
ReplyDelete