When I think about Blakely's congenital hypothyroidism, I think about how incredibly fortunate we are. Really. I'm not just saying that. Of course, every parent hopes and prays that their baby is born healthy. I didn't want Blakely to be born with a lifelong condition. In fact, I was shocked to find out that she was indeed missing (or severely lacking) her full thyroid. But, now that five months have come and gone, Tim and I are grateful for the daily reminder of God's power and plan.
Tim or I grind up her synthroid every morning and dissolve it in breast milk. It's not possible to forget that Blakely's development is hinged on this wonder drug. I think about it every single morning. And I'm so glad I do. Here is just a quick list of all that I praise my Jesus for:
- Hawaii (like most US states) test infants in the hospital for hypothyroidism.
- Oregon (I'm assuming OHSU) found the results and faxed back B's bloodwork ASAP.
- We got hooked up with an awesome speciliast via our amazing pediatrician.
- Our insurance (thank you HMSA) does a nice job covering some of our lab fees and doctor visits.
- Although insurance doesn't cover Synthroid, it's not too expensive.
- Congenital Hypothyroidism is NOT life threatening!!!
- With consistent and accurate treatment, the prognosis for "normal" development is good.
Blakely was ten days old when we found out about her condition. We are blessed. A few days after her diagnosis, my dad, Tim, Blakely and I spent a sunset at Ko'Olina. I truly believe that God gave us one of the most show-stopping sunsets possible. It was like His "rainbow" for our little family. His promise is to take care of Blakely and guide her development according to His will. She's in the best hands possible. I know, without a doubt, that she will be exactly who she is meant to be.
For now, while I have a front row seat to her growing up, my heart is overjoyed because I have a constant reminder of God's faithfulness and love.
Oh, and about her appointment yesterday. She's doing just fine. Her "numbers" are still a little skewed and we are going to cut back on her dosage. Overall, our doctor thinks she looks "good." And that's enough for me! "I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds my tomorrow."
p.s. My dad had a pretty radical "God encounter" while driving to the airport (to catch his flight to see us). God reassured my daddy that everything would be okay with his new grandbaby. Of course, this spoke to my heart too. If you see my dad, ask him about this story sometime.
Congenital hypothyroidism in a nutshell (according to The Mayo Clinic): "Congenital disease. Approximately 1 in 3,000 babies in the United States is born with a defective thyroid gland or no thyroid gland at all. In most cases, the thyroid gland didn't develop normally for unknown reasons, but some children have an inherited form of the disorder. Often, infants with congenital hypothyroidism appear normal at birth. That's one reason why most states now require newborn thyroid screening."
Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteLove the update! Miss you all
ReplyDelete