Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!
And I mean it! We get to celebrate a man who was first and foremost committed to God and also extremely passionate about the people in our nation--people of all color. He said (and I paraphrase) that he wanted freedom for black people and freedom of mind for white people. Thank God!
Before he was murdered, MLK Jr. knew his time on earth was drawing to a close. But, he knew he had a greater purpose. In his final sermon, he preached...
"Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now...I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!”
Of course, he didn't know the very next day would be his last. He was just 39. But, wow, what a legacy. What a life lived with purpose. What a life abandoned to God.
I'm proud that my country celebrates men and women like MLK Jr. We may not ever be all the way "there" with discrimination, but with bold and courageous people, we will always strive forward.
My prayer today for this girl and my next, is that they will always be judged on the contents of their hearts. I pray they will be both love and light in our world. I pray they are bold and courageous when it comes to standing up for what is right.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -MLK Jr.
If you have a chance, I found this gem of a documentary on Netflix streaming: Soundtrack for a Revolution. It's all about MLK Jr. and the Civil Rights movement.
If you do stream on Netflix, click here. Enjoy!
Katie,
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post! I love all your posts though. I always skip ahead on my blog roll when I see you. And I love your girl Lindsay's (sp?) blog too. Believe it or not I found her blog through you. Then I found more through her. Now I'm totally hooked on blogs. Family and friends are always my favorites though!
I'm so happy to hear you guys are expecting another beautiful life! Some kids get all the luck ;)
-Sara
HI Sara--HOW ARE YOU? Your second little one is so adorable. Congrats! Thanks for the blog love, my friend. I love keeping up with your cute pics on fb. Hey, are you blogging?
DeleteI'm glad you read Lindsay's blog. She's awesome and such an amazing girl.
Keep in touch--Sara!