Monday, January 2, 2012

Eleven for Twelve


I'm sitting in the dark, quiet of by baby girl's nursery. Correction--room. And she's not much of a baby these days. In fact, I'm leaning against the door and tapping on the laptop keys as a gentle, physical reminder for her to stay in her new-to-her toddler bed.

So far so good. She's humming herself to sleep and I have a solitary place to put my resolutions in writing! Science proves that we are much more likely to stick with our goals if we share them with others!

Thanks to all of you who have added goals, ambitions, and resolutions to your social networking of choice. It's been an inspiration to read!

Okay...after much thought and prayer...I'm excited about embracing 2012. I not only share with you my resolutions for accountability's sake, but also because I can't misplace a blog post! I know exactly how to get back here and check up on my progress. ;)

We had a guest speaker at church this weekend and he shared that 12 is the number of order in the bible. He believes this year will be a year when God restores order for people personally and the church as a whole! Wow! I love that vision and I do believe this is a perfect year for me to claim God's order in my own life and with my own family.

I'm only on day two for my first resolution, and for me, it's lofty (because I'm not nearly as disciplined as I wish I were)...but this is my first and best way to invite order back.

1. Read through the bible this year! I have a One-Year bible that is organized in chronological order and broken up into daily readings from start to finish. *To be honest, I bought this bible two years ago and dusted it off two days ago. Yikes. Well, here's to a new year!

2. Read My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. Again. This is my all-time favorite devotional. If you've never tried this one out, I strongly recommend it! As you underline wisdom that speaks to you, date it also. Then if you read this during various years, you'll have an awesome record of what God showed you in the past!

3. Jog more. Surf more.

4. Try a new dinner recipe each month.

5. Use coupons.

6. Learn to sew!!!

7. Finish the books I've started. Specifically as follows:
  • The Shack
  • In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day
  • The book of Jane (Christian Chic Lit)
  • The Pound 4 Pound Principle (written by my pastor)
  • East of Eden
  • The Help
  • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
  • The Power of a Praying Wife
  • Bringing Up Girls
I don't even want to think about when the last time was that I picked up some of these titles. It's not that they are boring reads, it's just that I get so stinkin' busy and push reading so far off until it falls off my plate altogether. It's shameful (I'm an English teacher). 

8. Reach out more to my neighbors--literally--the families living in the homes on my street. Tangibly speaking, here's my plan: have time to stop and chat while walking the dogs, when possible, make extra food and take over meals, bake extra cookies and drop at doors, invite to church. 

9. Take more time to chat with my students about their lives

10. Gain weight, have a baby, lose weight. Well, I suppose the only real resolution is the lose weight part because the gain and baby are comin' no matter what I do. ;) Anyway, this summer still falls into this year and I'll need this resolution then! Just Dance 3-- Here I come! 

11. Pray more. Specifically for my daughter, daughter-to-be, and husband. I pray. I pray honestly and I pray hard. What I don't pray is consistently---enough. I need to find more quiet places and pray without ceasing. 

All eleven resolutions won't happen this week, this month, or even in this half of the year. The beautiful thing about new year's resolutions is that I have 365 days to remember and focus on these eleven goals. Eleven goals that I believe will help restore order and help me honor God above all else. 

Join me! Make measurable and attainable resolutions. Don't like resolutions? Call them goals. Ambitions. Ideas. Heck, call them dreams. But think about what you want for 2012. Each year goes faster than the last, right? 

May God richly bless you in this new year!

Zephaniah 3:17



3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie! Okay, this is random, but I think your pastor's sister (at least one of them) is a mom of some of my students! I know Lissa pretty well and she's told me all about her brother! Sounds like a great guy and a great church! Anyway, congrats on baby number 2 :) Thanks for the reminder to set some goals for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin! Wow! Small world! I knew that he (Mike Kai--is that who you mean) had family in that area. How cool that you teach his sister's kids! I bet they are fun. We love the church and have been very blessed there! I love your sweet blog for Hazel. Hope to run into you next time I'm in the area. If you all ever make it to Hawaii, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Katie! Congrats on #2! And another girl! How exciting! I'm sure you guys are thrilled! I wanted to tell you I wouldn't waste your time finishing the Shack... My hubs taught a course this summer on the Trinity and he used that book as an example of a book that is full of bad teaching on the Trinity and it's kind of dangerous b/c it has truth mixed with heresy all in one. A really good book on the Trinity is by Bruce Ware (a former roommate of our pastor in AK) called Father, Son, & Holy Spirit, Relationships, Roles, & Relevance. Anyway, I hope you guys are doing well and had a great holiday season! hugs, debi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS