Thursday, October 14, 2010

Keep Austin Weird

Aloha...Howdy...y'all!! I'm back--to my home and to my blog! Tim, Blakely and I just zipped around the NW and South for about a week and a half. We spent time in Seattle, Portland, and mostly Austin, Texas.

To my dearest Portland buddies, I so wanted to see you all. We barely had our feet on Oregon soil though. Next time, we'll be home longer. Let's kick it. ;)

As you may know, I have always had this thing for Texas. I'm not quite sure where it came from, but I've always been dying to go. Unfortunately, as life would have it, I never had a reason or a chance. That is until Tim's brother, Mikey, and his lovely wife, Luciena, moved to Austin.

More on our time with them (and my most beautiful baby niece) later.

Since I only have a minute and there's no time like the present to jump back into a blog, I'm gonna share some pics from South Congress Street in Austin.

Tim and I were on the hunt for some big hair, Southern drawl, and boots with the spurs... :) While Austin feels like a lot of things, it doesn't feel like the Texas from the movies. It was pretty darn incredible though. South Congress felt a little like NW 23rd on crack and in the dessert! In a really fun way...if that makes sense... 

Here are a few pics that I took slyly on my iPhone while cruising the shops... who knew I'd find such random, crazy things on South Congress.


Love that there was a stack of Bibles on display at this shop!!


Check out all these crosses!


Not really sure how this deer fit into the rest of this shop...but, hey, it's Texas!


Not really sure what's going on here either. And why is she holding a shotgun?

This was a super fun costume shop. Even my sleeping baby wore a hat for this quick pic. The lady working the shop kept trying to sell me costumes. She was convinced that I should buy their "sexy Pocahontas" costume. I'm not sure what about me gave off the vibe that I might be interested in a sexy anything costume... maybe the baby sleeping on my chest? Or my husband trailing behind? hmmm....riiiiiiight.....

A whole rack of Aloha Shirts!!! Fun!

If ya wanna know what these are, look closer. Or maybe don't... I just took the pic cause I thought it was pretty random. Mostly because the top left is the state of Texas....okay.

Now, this wasn't on South Congress, but it was down the street from Mikey and Luciena's house. I suppose the Mainland may be getting these, but us Oahu folk have not seen something this big before. :)

Alright, I gotta jam. I overheard the phrase, Keep Austin Weird, which I found very endearing as my home city of roses also claims that term, and rightfully so.

Has anyone else spent time on South Congress? Recognize these shops? 

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering why you went to Texas. :-) Congrats to Tim's brother on their baby. Glad your home. Love you Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure...definitely not the Texas I expected. Did the lady have a hot outfit for Tim? LOL

    I will forgive you just this once for calling an AK-47 a "shotgun". Please don't make that mistake again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that the mannequin sign was signed "Lucy"...seems like something our Lucy might do in her future life ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS