by Nancy Cadjan
I have to admit, when I first heard about baby signing, I thought "forget it" -- I can't teach full-time, be a wife/mommy/friend, and teach my baby to sign.
I mean, there was no external pressure to try out signing, but somehow I piled the expectation on myself. When my sweet mama friend, Kaitlin, (who also teaches full-time) suggested this book, I tucked the idea away--way away--in the back of my mind.
Somehow, weeks later, I decided to give it a shot. I needed just one more small purchase to make my Amazon order eligible for "free shipping" -- so I figured it was meant to be.
Here's what I like about this book and baby signing:
The chapters are divided into developmental time periods so you can use the right sign for the right age. Nancy makes it easy to know where to start or where to pick-up again!
The pictures are crystal clear. I didn't know a single ASL sign going into this. Not even yes or no. Clearly, I'm showing my ignorance and I feel badly for it, but I'm just saying, this book makes it e-a-s-y!
Nancy suggests that signing helps parents stay in the habit of talking to their baby. It's easy for me to ramble about my B with my back to her, but when I sign, this forces me to turn around, speak slowly, and make eye contact. I like the reminder!
Research shows that babies who sign learn to speak sooner, articulate more words, and often times have an easier bout with the "terrible twos" as they can better express themselves with signs.
Of course, for Blakely, Tim, and I...the verdict is still out. I can't guarantee where this will go. We are just barely getting started.
Here's the best part of all. Baby signing doesn't take any additional time. I don't have to carve out extra minutes to sign; I just do it as I go. I'll keep you all posted! Shaka!
BOTH of my boys signed very early (around 9 months) and it has made a huge difference in the tantrums, BUT that doesn't mean there are no tantrums! I recommend starting with anything eating/food related... like more, all done, eat, drink, milk, etc. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOne sign that we really wanted to use and of course was not in the book was Jesus - but we already know that one! Can't wait to see how B likes it. Agreed with your friend, there are still frustrations, I just love that she can tell me what she needs and wants starting at 11 months old, otherwise she would have just been having those thoughts internally and not communicating it! Isn't God amazing!
ReplyDeleteHey Kate! So we didn't do signing because Lucy was basically talking at the time that she would have been signing but I actually ACCIDENTALLY taught her one sign of our own that helped... I just on a whim decided I was going to make one up for "hungry" when she was really small and did it a few times and then dropped it...a few months later she started using the gesture on her own to tell me she was hungry. So maybe she would have been communicating even earlier if we would have used signs...I'm all for trying what you're able and have the time to do! Every little communication skill you can help them with helps a TON when you're trying to figure out how to meet their needs!
ReplyDeleteoooohhhh...thanks girls! I love the signing stories! Thanks for the encouragement. Debi--your boys are rockstars!! I wish I could see their signing in action. Why, oh why, do we live across the country from each other?!
ReplyDeleteKaitlin, I keep remembering you and Naomi signing "pretty" -- melt my heart. Yes, I've thought that I can use Jesus! I'll have to start signing when I sing "Jesus Love Me!" Good idea!
Em--can you get enough of Lucy? I just adore her! Of course she practically signed on her own!! She's so dang smart! Do you think Poppy will be as verbal? I heart your sweet things!