Sunday, April 17, 2011

Finding My Courage (well, trying to)

I shoulda surfed longer. It's so hard to climb back to the courage I used to have when facing the waves.

It may sound cliche, but being a mom sorta changes the game for me. I'm little less gutsy. Should I be?

I miss the days that Tim and I could meet at the beach after work and paddle out together! I mean, I certainly wouldn't trade anything to change this season; I adore sitting in the sand with my babe. It's just that it's different to surf alone. Even though surfing is a solitary act by nature ;).

Today I talked myself into paddling out after Tim had taken his turn. I gingerly and shallowly negotiated the reef. I aligned myself to the right of the only other surfer in the water. I perused the murky water (you know, for sharks?! -- yeah, I'm a freak). And praised God! Just because I could. The waves were pretty decent. I was starting feel bold. And peaceful.

Then. And it was a quick then. The talented young surfer girl beside me decided to paddle in. What?! Please don't go I silently wished. My nerves washed right back. Seriously. The water was murky, the reef was dense (and sharp), the tide was low, and I was alone. Yeeeaaaahhhhhh.... all I could think about was my four working limbs. It sure doesn't help that Soul Surfer just opened in theatres...

I know, I know...I've just gotta face it. I've gotta stick it out, suck it up, etc... Actually, I wish I woulda stayed in da water. Talk about a prime set of circumstances: nice clean waves and no one to compete with! I would have had all the rides I wanted. Ay... I'm so conflicted! And the thing is, I really do trust that God's got me...when I'm on land and when I'm in the water.

So I'm telling you all...next time. And I'll tell you how it goes! I want to be courageous. I need to be courageous. Both with surfing and with life.

Anyway, Blakely digs the beach and is always a trooper. Today she got especially sandy and wet. She ended up like this:




6 comments:

  1. Girl, call me up next time! I don't like surfing alone either and my surf buddy is currently in the middle of the Pacific somewhere. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay! I sure will!! :) Hmmm...maybe Thursday before Mini Church?!?!?!? Think about it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't surf...never have...but I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes it's terrifying to go after and chase down our desires when we don't feel like we have anyone there beside us. Praying you find the courage to get out there and tackle those waves!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thank you Courtney. I'll pray the same for you--for whatever your "waves" are this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys were at lots! Oh boy how I wish I could have gone with you. Can we make a date for Aug? Love you Katie you got this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha...yup...Lots. Too scary to be alone there! Yes...we will go together when you are home in Aug. You'll be ready to surf by then! :) :) :) MISS YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS