Friday, March 18, 2011

Hawaii for Cheap(er): Just Freeze It!

Living in Hawaii is amazing. I truly thank God daily for His beauty which surrounds me.

However, as some of you know...there are some drawbacks (naturally, there's the trade off for every choice made). And one thing I don't love so much about living on a remote tropical island (did you know Hawaii is the most remote island chain? Crazy, right?) is the price increase of every day goods.

If I were really gonna rant, which I'll try not to do, I'd tell you all about Target's price increases! They don't even try to make us feel better about paying more, they just print off a new price sticker (with the higher price) and tap it on top of the "mainland" price. Sometimes I wish it weren't so obvious. ;)

Anyway, I just spent a couple of hours today "banking" some food for later. This is just one way I try to save while living across the Pacific. But, I'd actually do the whole buy-bulk-freeze-most thing anywhere...

Food spoils. Quickly. Here.

It's $$$ to get delicious, fresh produce. So, I buy as much as I can at Costco. Then I freeze as much as I can. It's surprising what all works out well in the freezer. I'll share more later, but just for fun, here's what I did today....


I prefer organic or local, but when that's too costly, I just wash with veggie wash and peel the outer layer.

Frozen onions are awesome! It's a no hassle way to add onions to most dishes! I like to cut my onions in half and then slice them lengthwise.

Finally, I chop them just one more time so that I have pretty large onion chunks.

Today, I used onions from one of those ginormous Costco bags. Not all the onions were good, but most were. In fact, it's super manageable to cut off any not-so-good sections of an onion.

For freezing, I like the freezer zip locks because they are hefty and take up little space. While I was at it, I tossed in some mini sweet peppers. Also fantastic & also spoils sooner than I can use them all.

I'm still freezing baby food! I don't need to freeze purees as often, but I do cook up eggs, polenta, cheese, and veggies--then freeze in portions for later...

Happy Freezing! Happy Friday!


3 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I freeze my baked stuff too like cookies and zucchini bread...I usually take at least half the batch of baked cookies and freeze them in groups of about 5 or 6 so we can pull them out and microwave them when we want a little treat. That way I don't eat the whole batch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love hawaii! we use to vacation every year visiting family in oahu but having moved to NC the furthest west we go is CA for the summer.

    thanks for the ideas. i didn't know that you could freeze onions!

    anyhoo, visiting from faith blogs! congrats on being the top 10 for the week. I was one of too and now i'm off to congratulate the rest! happy to meet you.
    blessings,
    alely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! Our produce always goes bad before we can use it all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS